Pioneering

Construtora Camargo Corrêa is the first to implement the National Covenant of the Construction Industry

Monday, November 12, 2012 - 12:54
According to the Minister of Labor, the works at Jirau are an example of development According to the Minister of Labor, the works at Jirau are an example of development

Construtora Camargo Corrêa is the first to implement the guidelines under the National Covenant of the Construction Industry at the Hydroelectric Plant in Jirau, state of Rondonia. This was the conclusion of Government representatives visiting the works of the plant on November 7. Their intention was to know the technical aspects of the work performed, the management system, and the stage of implementation of the Covenant signed by the company in March, which is aimed at improving the work conditions of the construction industry. The visiting committee was composed by Brizola Neto, Minister of Labor; José Lopes Feijó, assistant of the Chief Minister of the General Secretary of the Presidency, as well as Government and union agents.

The agreement scope included six topics: work conditions; occupational health and safety; union representatives at the work site; training of construction workers; recruiting processes aimed at hiring; and community relations. "Camargo Corrêa already has 92% of actions implemented under the national covenant. The remaining 8% should be concluded by December", says Walmir Picolotto, HR manager at the work site.

During the visit, the record of the current stage of implementation was signed by Minister Brizola Neto and other members of the Federal Government; Luiz Carlos Martins, sales director of Construtora Camargo Corrêa; and representatives of class entities such as the National Confederation of Construction and Wood Workers (Cinticom), the Union of Civil Construction Workers in Rondonia (Sticcero), the Unified Workers' Central (CUT), and other entities.

"Our intention today was to sign a document about the term for implementation. However, the progress made since the adherence to the agreement, in March this year, was such that we needed to change the record so that it rather reflects the current stage of implementation. Construtora Camargo Corrêa was not only the first to sign the adherence, but also the first company to implement the covenant. It made great progress in the process and is congratulated for that", said José Lopes Feijó, assistant of the Chief Minister of the General Secretary of the Presidency.

"This is an example for the whole country and for other industries, not only in civil constructions, but along productive sectors in general. Here the progress was very quick, especially regarding the installation and formalization of workers and occupational safety and health commissions. This great work of Jirau shows to everyone in heavy and civil construction as well as other productive industries in Brazil that it's possible to balance the interests of capital and work while also promoting the development of service fronts that respect the worker", says Minister Brizola Neto.