The naming ceremony was attended by the President of the Republic, Dilma Rousseff, among other authorities, and about six thousand employees of EAS.
The president of the Estaleiro Atlântico Sul, Otoniel Reis, thanked the whole team involved in the production of Zumbi dos Palmares, reinforcing that hard work and commitment of all employees is what makes the difference. “This sea of people inspires us, gives us energy and makes us certain of the glorious future ahead. Seeing our employees working with dedication, commitment, passion for EAS and Brazil, makes us look to the future with the certainty that all our challenges will be beaten”, said Otoniel.
President Dilma wanted to climb aboard the oil tanker, and highlighted the growth of Brazilian shipbuilding industry, which in 2003 had 2,000 people and currently has approximately 54,000 professionals.
During the ceremony, there was a presentation by Zezé Motta, who recited a poem of Solano Trindade, and sang “Kizomba, the feast of the race”, in tribute to Zumbi dos Palmares, accompanied by Maracatu Estrela Brilhante, one of the oldest groups of Pernambuco.
CDH - Human Development Center
Opened in January 2011, CDH provides an ongoing process of technical learning for the company’s employees. With an area of 950 square meters, the center has the capacity to serve 500 people simultaneously. The structure serves the various training and programs of the company, in partnership with the National Industrial Apprenticeship Service (Senai)
"ZUMBI DOS PALMARES” OIL TANKER
- Capacity: 1 million barrels
- Gross size (weight of the ship plus maximum load): 157.7 thousand tons
- Type of ship: Suezmax (the largest to cross the Suez Canal, connecting the Red Sea to the Mediterranean Sea)
- Total length: 274.2 meters
- Length between perpendiculars: 264 meters
- Molded breadth: 48 meters
- Molded depth: 23.2 meters
- Scantling draft: 17 meters
- Steel demand: 24.5 thousand tons
- Main engine: Doosan, with a power of 22,500 HP
- Fixed pitch propeller
- Number of segregations: 3